Farm & Food Care Ontario (FFCO) will receive $547,200 for outreach initiatives over the next three years, through provincial funding announced April 13, 2022.
The new funding will be put towards supporting five of the organization’s activities, all designed to raise awareness and appreciation of Ontario farmers and food producers. The funding will support:
- FFCO’s Breakfast on/from the Farm events which provide a unique and personal experience for non- farming Ontarians to visit and explore agriculture with working farmers each year;
- Farm tours for culinary students which allow them to learn about raising livestock and horticultural products they prepare in the kitchen;
- Interviews, photography and videography work showcasing the critical work that seasonal agricultural workers and temporary foreign workers do in Ontario for the More than a Migrant Worker initiative;
- The Garden in a Box program that connects home gardeners with Ontario farmers;
- Numerous digital consumer outreach activities including virtual field trips highlighting the diversity of farms and food processing facilities to consumers.
As a registered charity, Farm & Food Care Ontario funding largely comes from farmers, farm organizations, agribusinesses and others through memberships and program partnerships. The funding is the first Farm & Food Care has received from the provincial government for public trust work.