What does it mean to be a good leader, really? What does it take to get improve, and how do you measure your progress?
Kelly Dobson of LeaderShift Inc. joins Shaun Haney for today’s RealAg LIVE!
Don’t miss a new LIVE! Q&A every weekday at 3 pm E on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitch!
- What does partnership really mean? It’s not a legal term, in this context
- Real partnership is everyone feeling responsible for the success of a farm
- Unfortunately, it’s seen sometimes as on/off or yes/no, instead of the middle ground where real work can happen
- Temperament matters
- Natural born leader …is not as strong in effectiveness as we used to think
- Hidden talent shows up in the darnedest places
- It’s not even about top-down or even bottom-up decisions, it’s more about does everyone knowing how decisions are made, what the goals are, and what decision will get you there
- When an organization measures for leadership talent, they’re more successful
- Surprising places/people that are overlooked for leadership positions? Women. Relationship skills, development and mentorship, are things women excel at
- How do I know I’m getting better? How do I know if the reading, the work, the webinars, the self-improvement, how do I know it’s working?
- Targets and goals: draw a line in the sand and decide what improvement will look like. Plan for it!
- Make it personal and individual
- Feedback matters, so very much
- How important is being yourself? Leadership looks different for different people
- Sometimes, we don’t ask other people how they perceive us. Versus how we see ourselves
- What’s getting in the way of farmers taking their leadership to the next level? Where to start, mindsets (growth vs. fixed), and everyone wants a quick fix
- Low hanging fruit: realizing what’s really going on and developing a plan. AND they can start a conversation the very next day, that are effective, and not always about solving a problem, more about outcomes
- It’s a human development issue
- “You can’t outsource leadership.” And that SUCKS, sometimes, right?
- How much time do you spend convincing everyone that you know what you’re doing….zing!
- What about mental health? Well, it’s really hard to leap forward when you’re worn out
- How driven are you? Drivenness is not sustainable and not scaleable. What got you here as a 20 or 30 year old, won’t sustain you. Caffeine, cigarettes, or booze isn’t sustainable.