Wheat Pete’s Word, April 14: Thunderstorms, Ensiled Wheat and Lousy Record Keeping
In this week’s Word, Peter Johnson, resident agronomist for RealAgriculture, covers everything from weather to annual ryegrass control. And, did you get last week’s homework assignment done?
Skip to Podcast
Have a question for Wheat Pete? Call 1-888-746-3311, send him a tweet (@wheatpete), or email him at [email protected]
- (01:05) Weather Update:
- (01:12) 7.5″ rainfall from March 21 – April 11 at St. Marys.
- (01:20) Nitrogen credit out of thunderstorms – worth considering?
- (01:47) Multi-coloured wheat fields – all it needs is a little bit of dry weather. Wheat is tough.
- (02:35) More frost heave than we would have anticipated.
- (03:01) North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee will potentially see freeze injury on wheat that’s two weeks ahead of normal.
- (03:28) Ilderton saw -8C for three hours might challenge some red clover. Get out there and scout.
- (03:54) Homework Review:
- Did you find out you have lousy record keeping on your wheat crops?
- Did you look at how much phosphorous you had applied versus how much you removed?
- You really need to be building single digit phosphorous.
- Now: time to determine what to do going forward.
- (07:35) Wheat:
- (07:37) I’ve got big wheat — what do I look for to decide when to put nitrogen on?
- (08:41) Should we dilute on our first pass?
- (09:00) What rate of nitrogen and what’s my split for soft red wheat?
- (10:00) Cleavers and fleabane in wheat. Can I spray, then seed red clover?
- (10:54) Can I plant wheat this fall if using Step-Up herbicide on sandy, low OM soil?
- (11:12) Are PGRs no longer allowed?
- (11:48) Can I ensile wheat and use it as hog feed?
- (12:07) Barley:
- How do I no-till barley underseeded to red clover when using dry dairy manure and commercial fertilizer?
- (12:58) Plant Green:
- (13:02) Cereal rye and wheat, and want to plant soybeans or corn into it. Is there a formula?
- (14:05) I have fleabane, how do I handle it and my annual ryegrass?
- (16:03) Will annual ryegrass in the corn limit nitrogen movement/availability?
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |